Menopause is a part of the normal aging process of the female gender. It is defined as the cessation of menstruation and ovulation and is accompanied by a lowering in the production of female hormones particularly estrogen .
The hormone estrogen until menopause has a cardiovascular protecting effect. Estrogen also protects against bone loss because it helps to metabolize copper which is necessary in the manufacture of bone. This is why that after menopause women tend to have a greater risk of heart attacks and also suffer from osteoporosis or the “thinning of bones” hence are more prone to fractures.
One of the early signs of menopause are changes in the menstrual cycle itself where the flow may become lighter, heavier of occur less frequently or even stop abruptly. These menopausal symtoms typically last about five years.
Signs And Symptoms
Many women go through “peri menopause” at around late forties to early fifties. A deficiency in hormones from the Pituitary gland will inevitably initiate menopause at an earlier age. Symptoms of menopause vary but typically may include some or all of the following:
- “Hot Flushes”
- Night sweats
- Vaginal dryness and hence painful intercourse
Natural Treatment of Menopause
In most cases hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is not necessary and has apparently been implicated in detrimental long term side effects according to some controversial medical reports. However HRT may be appropriate for those already experiencing significant bone loss (osteoporosis) or in cardiovascular problems. This is something that you and your doctor need to discuss.
Many natural measures can help alleviate the symptoms of Menopause , some of which are listed below.
1. Nutritional Supplements :- Support normal physiological function.
2. Herbal Medicines :- To alleviate insomnia, mood, vaginal dryness and other symptoms.
3. Diet :- The amount of phytoestrogens in the diet should be increased. These are present in such foods as soy products, high lignan flax, nuts, fennel and celery.
4. Exercise :- Aerobic activity to tolerance on a regular weekly basis has been found to reduce the severity and frequency of hot flushes. It also is likely to elelvate your mood whether you are pre, peri or post menopausal and has the added benefit to improve heart function and circulation.
5. Treatment Self Appraisal Of Life
Some women do get depressed whilst going through Menopause. This is because they may see it as an end to their youthfulness and attractiveness to the opposite sex and begin to question their self worth in their own circle of life.
Menopause in some cultures is actually welcomed and is seen as a New Beginning in one’s journey throughout life. I like this attitude and always try to foster it in the patient’s we see at Mother Natures Pharmacy . It is all about one’s perception of what is good or what is bad that is responsible for how we feel. Life is after all for living so let us rejoice each new day and live life to its fullest.
Adelaide’s Naturopath we treat all with Natural Medicines. Contact Us Now