Irritable Bowel Syndrome also known as IBS is a very common condition and it is one of the most common gastrointestinal disturbances reported by mainstream medicine. The condition is also known as spastic colitis, mucous colitis and nervous indigestion.
- Abdominal pain and or distension commonly in the lower left quadrant.
- Alternating constipation and diarrhoea with pain.
- Flatulence, nausea and anorexia due to establishment of a type of malabsorption syndrome.
- Mucous sometimes accompanies the stool which may include undigested food.
- Anxiety, depression and despair about one’s own health is common.
Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Although the cause(s) of IBS are not clear cut it is thought to be associated with physiological, psychological and or dietary factors . There is no evidence to suggest that there is a structural problem with the bowel and yet the large intestine or colon simply fails to function properly.
Chronic stress and bouts of acute stress have been implicated in initiating an attack of IBS or making the symptoms worse.
Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
A positive diagnosis from your doctor is advised in order to exclude other possible disease states such as;
- Malabsorption diseases such as pancreatic insufficiency
- Caeliac disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Diabetes Mellitus
- A food diary should be kept for at least three weeks in order to identify possible food intolerances.
- Consumption of a high fibre diet rich in vegetables is advised.
- Herbal Medicine
- I have personally perfected a mixture of several herbs which act as a tonic for the whole digestive system including the stomach, liver, gall bladder, pancreas and intestines.
Call Adelaide’s Naturopath today for a free consulatation NOW.