Impotence is defined as the inability of a man to attain and maintain an erection of the penis sufficiently to permit sexual intercourse. In most cases however the term “impotence” is more precisely referred to as Erectile Dysfunction which differentiates itself from premature ejaculation, inability to achieve orgasm or loss of libido.
Erectile dysfunction is considered by most men as a serious assault on their “manhood” and although it tends to increase with age it must be emphasized that age itself is not a cause of impotence. Males are capable of maintaining their sexual virility well into their eighties even if the the force and amount of ejaculation lessens.
Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction / Impotence
- Psychological Factors such as Performance Anxiety
- Chronic Stress or Depression
- Vascular Insufficiency due to Atherosclerosis of the penile artery OR pelvic trauma and surgery
- Side Effects of Drugs such as antihypertensives, antihistamines, antidepressants, antipsychotics
- Diseases of the Penis or Prostate
- Hormonal Imbalances resulting in low or inappropriate male sex hormones
- Endocrine Disorders such as Diabetes and Hypothyroidism
- Alcohol or Drug abuse.
Non Invasive Tests to Evaluate the Cause of Erectile Dysfunction
- Medical and Physical examination
- Full Blood Count and Urine Analysis
- Serum Hormonal Studies
- Glucose Tolerance Test
Natural Treatment for Erectile Dysfunction
Mother Natures Pharmacy located in the heart of Rundle Mall treats this relatively common complaint on a regular basis with a good degree of success pending on the cause of the problem.
We also treat athletes with tailor made herbal preparations who wish to have a natural lift in their sporting performance . Eastern European sportsmen and women as well as those of Russia and China have used herbs for decades to naturally enhance their sports performance. Even the ancient Egyptian Kings gave their slaves who constructed the pyramids a daily ration of garlic and fenugreek to enable them to work harder.
Atherosclerosis of the penile artery is a major cause of impotence / erectile dysfunction in many men over the age of fifty. Dietary measures as well as lifestyle changes can dramatically reverse blocked and clogged up arteries and we advise on these matters.
Other natural measures to support male function and increase “free” testosterone, hence male virility include the following:
Nutritional Supplements :- antioxidants, arginine, and certain vitamins.
- Herbal Medicines :- There are many herbs which naturally treat erectile dysfunction such as Potency Wood, Avena Sativa, Saw Palmetto, Tribulis, Damiana, Schizandra, Ginkgo biloba, and others.
- Exercise :- Aerobic exercise on a regular weekly basis is a vital component of health especially sexual health . It helps to improve cardiovascular fitness, increases blood circulation and lymphatic drainage and is a great natural stress buster .
- Diet :- The diet needs to be rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and high quality protein from sources such as organic chicken without the skin, deep sea fish, lamb , turkey and eggs. Simple carbohydrates and those having a high glycaemic index should be largely eliminated form the diet.