Crohn’s Disease is characterized by localized areas of non specific chronic inflammation of the intestinal wall. The full thickness of the intestinal wall is affected and most commonly occurs in the small and large intestine. “Skip lesions“ are characteristic of Crohn’s Disease. Like most inflammatory bowel diseases including Ulcerative Colitis there exists a state of malabsorption syndrome of vital vitamins and minerals necessary for the human body to function at its optimum level.
Crohn’s Disease has become very prevalent in Western and developing countries during the last few decades and occurs equally in both sexes. There tends to be a positive familial history and most cases begin before the age of thirty. The disease typically shows remissions and relapses over many years.
1. Genetic predisposition
2. Infectious Agents – Epstein Barr Virus, Cytomegalo virus
3. Antibiotics – Chronic usage of.
4. Dietary factors
- Western dietary practices.
- Sensitivity to refined foods as well as food additives.
5. Chronic stress exacerbates and initiates acute attacks.
Signs and Symptoms
- Localised cramping abdominal pain in the lower right quadrant is a cardinal sign
- Diarrhoea tends to follow a bout of pain
- Stools are loose and rarely contain frank blood, mucous or pus unlike in Ulcerative Colitis
- Weight Loss is common
- General feeling of unwellness and low grade fever is common.
Treatment with Natural Medicine
A barium meal radiographical analysis, colonoscopy and or a tissue biopsy are some of mainstream medicine armoury to positively identify the diagnosis of Crohn’s Disease as distinct from Ulcerative colitis, Diverticulitis, Irritable bowel syndrome Appendicitis, Carcinoma of caecum and rarely Tuberculosis of the ileocaecal region
There is much to offer the patient in terms of Natural Medicine in the treatment in any inflammatory bowel disease. I will show you how to best utilize these measures in the form of the following,
1. Inner cleansing Programme
2. Gut Pepair
3. Diet & Lifestyle changes
4. Nutritional Supplements
5. Herbal Medicine
Thank you for reading Adelaide Naturopath and Mother Natures Pharmacy.